To support parents, Calderdale PHEYS Health Visitors and Calderdale School Nurses have worked together with partner agencies to produce a parents’ leaflet for School Readiness.
The leaflet gives simple advice on issues including immunisations, self care and how to support children’s social and communications development.
A recent survey of school leaders by NAHT and Family and Childcare Trust highlighted concerns around children’s readiness for school.
- Four fifths of respondents (83 per cent) said that they believed that there is an issue with the school readiness of some pupils starting school.
- 86 per cent believed school readiness has become worse over the past five years.
- 24 per cent said that more than half of the intake was not school ready.
- Speech, language and communication issues were of greatest concern with 97 per cent of respondents identifying this as a problem and almost half (47 per cent) saying it was the most significant.
- Two thirds (67 per cent) said one of the likely reasons children are not school ready is a failure to identify and support additional needs early enough.
- 66 per cent said that parents had fewer available resources or that there are more pressures on family life.
Please download a copy of the leaflet by clicking here.